7.19.2014

Ever Heard of Cellulitis?


If not, don't google it, let alone look at images on google of it. Instead, let me show you a rated 'G' version from a toddler foot:


Looks like a sprain right? It's not. It's from a bug bite. And only a couple days old! You see, we had noticed him scratching a lot on that ankle Thursday night, but he had several bug bites and we put a dab of cortizone on each of them before hitting the hay. By Friday morning this particular bite was a bit puffy, but I sent him to school with more itch cream and told him to leave it alone. When we picked him up, his teacher told us that we might want to keep an eye on his ankle where the bite was and that it was quite hot to the touch and puffy. When we were able to get his shoe and sock off, the above is what we saw. Not good.

Our pediatrician's office was closed as it was after 5, and after googling information about it, we didn't want to risk it getting worse overnight. Derek's insurance is amazing and we made the decision to just pay the minimal fee and head straight the ER. It was a fairly quick hour there and the doc knew instantly that it was cellulitis. Drew was a champ getting his blood pressure and temperature read and the doc gave him the ultimate prize; a frozen popsicle.


He was put on the same antibiotics I'm currently on from Monday's escapade and doing just fine. He can walk on it and it seems to just still be itchy instead of painful so that's a plus.


Keep an eye on your kiddos this summer! The mosquitoes are pretty bad and we never knew a bite could lead to something that could turn life-threatening if left untreated. Trust those mommy/daddy instincts... they work!

{Now let's just hope that next time we're at a hospital it's to meet our baby girl!}


26 comments:

  1. Yikes! Glad you were able to get it treated quickly, and I'm glad Drew's not in any pain!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you caught it right away! I got cellulitis in my leg in the hospital after having my 3rd baby, but we didnt catch it until right before we were ready to go home. I just thought my leg was sore because, you know, just had a baby and all that. I spent 2 more days in the hospital, could barely walk from the pain, and had 2 iv antibiotics and 1 oral because I had sepsis. It was an awful experience and it was 2 weeks before my leg felt normal again. The dr said that if I'd gone home before treatment, I would've gone into a coma and possibly died. So yeah...very relieved to hear that you caught Drew's right away!

    ReplyDelete
  3. GIRL. Cellulitis is no joke!!! Poor Drew!! I've had cellulitis more times than I can count..mostly always on my legs/feet, but one special time a few years ago-- MRSA on my freaking FACE. I am just thankful yall caught Drew's before they would have had to lance and drain it at the dr's office. That would scar him for life. I hope yall avoid the hospital until it's time for something GOOD to happen!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that your parents are there just waiting to meet little girl I imagine! I had never heard of this and I'm fighting the urge to google it and instead just take your word for it. Good call, mama for following your instincts!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad it all worked out and he's on meds. My hubby had cellulitis near his eyebrow a couple of years ago. Now that was scary (and gross looking)!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! Hope you both feel better soon

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! I'm glad you guys caught it before it got too serious. I hope you both feel better soon. =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aww no!! Cellulitis can be pretty serious... Poor little guy! If the redness grows at all be sure to take him back in! Gahh those stupid bugs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Poor dude! Leland gets BAD reactions from bug bites and they take forever to heal. We've been to the doc three times this summer for them. So far, no infections, but better safe than sorry, right?

    ReplyDelete
  10. hm what is with you guys and having these weird problems from pretty routine things?! (dead tail) I've never heard of it, but I promise to stay away from googling it! Poor guy. Glad it is just kind of uncomfy and itchy but able to be walked on. Heal up quick Drew!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I used to work in a doctor's office and we often saw cellulite. Not something to fool around with at all. I'm glad you brought him to the ER & that he didn't need IV antibiotics. Hope he's feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so glad you all have it under control now. Scary stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Holy smoke! How scary! I have very sensitive skin and am allergic to bug bites (immediately swell up and huge), and Charli has the same skin as I do and can be outside for 5 minutes and will have 8 huge swollen bug bites on her legs. Nothing like this has ever happened to myself but I am 100% going to keep a closer eye on all of hers now. We don't let her go outside ever without bug spray on now. So glad he is ok, I would have been crying!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Poor little guy! Good to hear it was something easily remedied.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, glad that you made the choice to take him in. I'm glad that he's alright.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my gosh, so glad he is OK! Good call on taking him in!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm glad he's okay, the bugs have been really bad in our area. I got eaten up over the weekend. Fortunately Hunter hasn't gotten any really bad bites this year, last year he had a few nasty ones though.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That looks so painful!! Glad to hear its getting better!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my goodness! SO scary! Glad everything worked out perfectly and that Drew is on the mend!

    ReplyDelete
  20. So scary! Bless his heart, Glad all is okay and hope it continues to get better!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, that's crazy!!! Glad you went to the ER! (I love the entourage that's w/ you all!)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow - I had never heard of that before. So glad all is well. Drew wanted one last hurrah before Deuce gets here!

    ReplyDelete
  23. So scary! I had cellulitis right after my c-section — a reaction, we think, to the vaccine I got right before I was discharged. Not fun! Glad he's OK.

    ReplyDelete