6.12.2014

Wanna See Some Boring Concrete?


We're working on a new patio and the first step was to tear out the tiny slab and build a larger patio floor. So, yeah, it's kinda boring to look at but whatevs. We still have to purchase a new table and chairs, build up some mulch beds around the curve drop off, decorate with flowers and more, but I had to at least show off the newest piece!

Here's the boring builders stock slab. (Ignore the ugly patio furniture, it will be gone soon)


The slab didn't even stretch all the way to the house and the dogs would dig in those straw/dirt areas. Drew's toys did not fit with our table and chairs, grill, plants, etc and it was just plan boring and ugly.

Here are some mid-construction pictures:


We choose not to do stamped concrete as it was another $1,000 that we didn't feel was necessary. (Has anyone ever gotten concrete torn up and re-poured before? ...it's pricey!) Instead, we added a border, rounded the edges, added colors and more than doubled the square footage that we had from the builders slab. The color in the main area isn't quite what we wanted but our contractor will be staining it darker for us soon.


View of the shape from our bedroom:

Now just picture it with a 2 foot mulch bed around the rounded part, some cute furniture and tons of plants/flowers!

We are most happy with the amount of room it gives us now and love the rounded edge. Can't wait to get it all finalized!

Now the countdown begins for how many days left until I can enjoy some summer brew on an adirondack out there! 

19 comments:

  1. haha, best post title ever?! Looking much better, and I have a lovely mental image of the flowers around the half circle with some nice patio furniture...with mom sitting with a drink in hand watching two littles playing happily together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks great!! We have a teensy slab too...I always dreamed about making it bigger...but in my constant state of restlessness and NEEDMOREFLOWERS, now I've built beds around the existing patio and sorta boxed us in. So extending it now would mean killing flowers, so like...guess the tiny patio is here to stay!!!! Lame.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks like a great sized patio! I love the edging around it too. We had some concrete work done in CO and it totally is expensive - I understand! The upcharge for stamping and colors is totally crazy! I think you guys did a great job picking out what you did. yay for lazy summer nights with drinks (very soon!)!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You guys will love it! Can't wait to see the finished decorated patio!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks great! I like the rounded edge too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a great size now! I might have to make a special trip up to enjoy a few drinks with you :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks awesome! Love the rounded edge.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's much nicer. I love it! & you know what, you're an adult when you get excited about a slab of cement...I did it too when I had a garage built, I thought that cement was pretty dang cool! Ha! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks fantastic! I'm sure it will be a great place to relax and watch the kiddos play.

    ReplyDelete
  10. YES! We tore out part of our driveway and the front walk and had it repoured. We did the stamping on the walk, love it and so glad we did it. And YES, the whole process is pricey. Which is why we didn't do the entire driveway. Maybe in another year or 2 we'll do the rest.

    I love the curve, great idea! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks great! I have no stomach for home improvement projects of any sort (which is evident when you see my house) so I'm super impressed with everything you guys have done!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your post title had me cracking up!
    I'd give almost anything for a concrete slab bigger than 12x12... Maybe someday...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the shape! You will love it and will find yourselves outside so much more!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks great...concrete is absolutely outrageous! Hubby had it poured in his garage and I couldn't believe the price!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Haha you are too funny! It looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Do you mind sharing the company's name with me? Sounds like you were happy. I am looking to get some repair work done, which is hard to find, so I would need to question them first regarding what I'm looking to get done. I know pouring new is expensive! Feel free to reply to my comment via email whenever you have a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It looks like it turned out great! I can't wait to see the finished product :D

    ReplyDelete