7.30.2013

Potty Update

Potty Pals.
Nope. We're not potty trained yet, but we're working on it. I'd LOVE to do the 3-day method that a few of you have sent me information about, but it's not feasible with our schedules. We won't have a 3-day weekend anytime soon and it will be hard to find one where we have nothing to attend. Summers are full of showers, weddings, events, etc for us!

Nonetheless, we're trying to get him on the potty as much as we can. This weekend we woke up both mornings and played around in the bathroom while he sat for a while. We had a #2 as well a couple #1's in his toilet and he also went #1 on the potty before school Monday. He's gotten rewarded with candy, stickers, stamps but mostly hugs, kisses, high fives and happy dances. He's read many books while sitting on the toilet, but we've let him use the iPad quite a bit. Generally, in a week he uses that thing a total of probably only 30 min. We don't want him addicted and prefer to save the 'fun' of it for things like sitting on the potty and when mommy is hungover long car rides.

We're nowhere near ready to leave the house without a diaper on, but we'll get there! I'd love for him to be trained within the next few months, but we're not pressuring him at all. It will click soon enough and with him being cloth diapered, I don't have to worry about the costs associated with disposables!

Anyone have any suggestions on how to get him to tell us before he has to go? We've noticed that he'll say "I go poopy", but then literally be going in his diaper 2 seconds later. I'm not sure as to how to get him to hold it until he's on a toilet! Suggestions are welcome. Thanks mommas!

17 comments:

  1. We are potty training our middle son, and I will be so glad when he is trained. Some weeks he want to be a big boy, others he wants to be a baby. Hell be my gray hairs, haha. Good luck to you, hopefully he'll fully pick it up soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that the whole holding it acknowledging more than just right before actually going is part of what "clicks" and it will all of a sudden. Then you will have slightly more time to get him on the potty haha. That time will then grow from there and he will learn to "hold" it until he can get there. That's how it has been for us anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm at about the same stage as you. Whenever we put him on the potty, he goes, but doesn't tell us when he wants to go. I am thinking a full week-end dedicated to potty training is what we need, I've just been hesitant to actually pick the weekend! Looking forward to hearing more updates:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We haven't started potty training yet, but my little guy likes to sit on the potty. He doesn't know to actually 'go' in it yet. It's hard to find a whole weekend to dedicate to it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beyond introducing her to the toilet and having only one #1 success, we haven't done anything. I'd love to try the 3 day weekend thing when I'm home on maternity leave. I just don't think she's showing any signs of potty training yet.

    Hang in there. It will come all at once and then your little guy wont have cute cloth diaper bum bum anymore....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was all excited to start potty-training and even had quite a bit of success before Henry turned two. Now that he's two, he's showed no interest and I am just not motivated to try. I hope things click with Drew soon! He's doing a pretty good job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You'll get there! My 2 year old nephew wants nothing to do with potty training, it will happen when it's time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is something I'm dreading as Mace gets bigger! Will definitely be learning from you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with Samantha... It just clicks. Claire can now tell me when she has to go and we run to the potty. Max - not so much. He goes every now and then but usually just sits and tries to tinkle a little so he gets a sticker!
    I had all intentions of doing the 3 day, but we leave the house to much... gym, pool, museum.... I don't want to be stuck in house!
    Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. We did the underwear around the house with a shirt on. It took him awhile to figure out how to tell us before he actually went...but b/c he was in underwear (and we do cloth diapers too) he saw it and felt it immediately and finally it just clicked. We would always finish in the potty no matter if he had an accident that is the best piece of advice I think I could give you. We didn't do the whole sitting on the potty until he went...b/c seriously this kid has some major bladder control, and we would be there all day! We would keep asking all day, "How's your underwear?" And he would say dry...and we would also say good job keeping your underwear dry. Finally after some peeing accidents he figured out how to hold it and how to actually use those muscles. Hope this helps! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I"m just starting with my guy now, too. I did the 3 day intense thing with my daughter and it worked well but there's no way to fit that into our schedule now. Or anytime soon. So I'm doing it bit by bit with our son. So far so good but we have a loooong way to go. Good to hear from someone else doing things this way!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Even know you are not using the 3 Day method - I still think it will just click. So many people told me that...and I didn't buy it. But one day it did. It clicked. Scoop him up right away and bring him to the potty. Just keep telling him - he'll get it. Trust me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jackson is nowhere near ready, but he did tell me twice over the weekend that he had pooped in his diaper. I'm thinking thats a good start. :-) Good luck and I hope it goes quickly and easily for you and Drew. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree on the "it will just click" statements. For us, it was gradual starting with introduction to the potty. He would go in the potty when he thought about it (while still in diapers) and we made a big deal out of every time he did. We tried the 3 day thing and it just didn't work...we couldn't confine ourselves to the house that long! ;) We also did underpants and tees around the house. Then, it just happened. Looking back, I don't really know what made the difference...it just happened. Jelly beans sure did help :) For those skeptical of weaning off the potty rewards, it wasn't difficult for us. Using the potty just became "normal" and he didn't ask for the treats anymore. Sam still wears a diaper to sleep in, we haven't conquered that yet, but overall he is potty trained! When I told him that we were going to work on potty training he told me "Ohhhh-I want to ride the potty train!!" Haha
    I think Drew is doing a great job so far and you guys are doing what's best for him by not pressuring and encouraging! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  15. How cute does he look sitting on that potty chair?! :-)

    I agree, it will click eventually! Although once he demonstrates that he *can* tell you he needs to go in advance, then sometimes (at least with my girls) they regress and stop telling you in time---usually because they decide that they don't want to stop playing or whatever they are doing. Once that happens we do "punishment" in our house :-P So right now for Brielle, since we know she is capable, if she has an accident because she's being lazy then she loses her bandaid (she earns a Dora bandaid each morning and then her goal is to keep it all day lol) So far that's been working and she's only had two accidents in about the last 4-5 days....even when we leave the house and stuff. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's a process but it will happen!!

    ¤´¨)
    ¸.•*´
    (¸¤ Lanaya | xoxo
    Raising-Reagan.com

    ReplyDelete